Smoke Daddy's Review of Mesquite Pit
Nice family restaurant that has bbq on the menu. The potato salad and cole slaw were very good. Next time I will opt for something cooked on the mesquite grill (steak, burger, chicken, etc).
- Brisket - Mesquite. Cooked 24 hours (mostly wrapped). Very little seasoning in the rub - just a trace of salt is noticeable. Lean is cut into thick slices that are a bit chewy.
- Rib - Mesquite flavor is good on the rib! Good color and smoke ring. Meaty rib is tough and chewy... have to really work to get any meat off the bone.
- Sausage - Possibly a beef/pork mix? Has a little spice on finish. More interesting than store-bought.
- Beans - Tastes like chili... lots 'o chili powder here. Good.
- Potato Salad - Strong mustard and pickles. I like it!
- Slaw - Good crunch. Not too creamy, with some vinegar and flecks of black pepper. Very good.
- Sauce - Thick and sweet, with alot of 'tang'.
- Opened in 1993, and acquired the grocery next door for growth
- Burned in 2004, so this building is new construction
- Stone exterior with Texas star accents
- Rustic, lodge-style interior
- Sit-down, table service restaurant serving drinks in big ole' mason jars
- Nice custom mequite pit with ventilation/air tube design
- Plus a water smoker for the ham, ribs, & chicken
- Sausage cooked hot & fast on the mesquite steak pit