All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
- Cabrito - Oh, this is GOOD! It makes up for the cabrito disaster across the street at Coopers. The texture is somewhat coarse, but the meat just melts in the mouth...
- Rib - Got the end of the rack again. There's still alot of meat on the bone. Coarse texture with a bit of chew... then magically this flavoful, buttery rib melts in your mouth (that's twice I've written 'melts in your mouth' in the same review).
- Brisket - Tough & Lean. Mesquite grilled?
- Pork Chop - Fatty cut of chop, but the flavor and texture remind me of the rib!
- Sausage - Very firm . Nicely spiced with a bit of heat on the finish. Better than Coopers, but the spice profile is not my preference.
- Hot sausage - Oh, now this is how I like it! Spicy goodness here. Both sausages are sourced from Hudson's in Austin.
- Sirloin - Tough. Need a chainsaw.
- Pork Steak - Pretty much like the sirloin.
- Chop - Oh, man. Here we go again... another gargantuan pork chop. Wow, this is a great chop! Juicy and flavorful - total winner here.
- Brisket - Nice flavors here. Cooked directly over mesquite coals... I like it.
- Sirloin - Mmmmmmmm. The texture is like velvet... it just melts in your mouth. Again, great flavor.
- Rib - Too heavy on the salty rub, but the flavor of the meat is good. However, this rib is tough and chewy.
- Sausage - Eckrich from the grocery?
- Cabrito - Overcooked. Not completely dried out, but close. A shame.
<<Note: It looks like this business has changed hands since our visit. As of Jan 2013, it is listed as "Bar-B-Q Shak" run by Robert and Penny Payne.>>
- Brisket - Nice smoke ring. Good texture with the fat melting into the meat (fully rendered). Moist... this is good!
- Rib - End rib... how is it that I always get stuck with the end of the rack??? Dry and chewy. Good flavor here on a smoky rib, but even that cannot rescue this one.
- Sausage - Elgin hots. Man they do good things with this sausage! It is not made here, but I like it better than at Southside Market.
- Moist/Fatty Brisket - This is a good slice-o-brisket! Very flavorful... fat has rendered and makes this mighty tasty.
- Lean Brisket - Nice texture. Good flavor. It is tender, but with a bit of a chew on the finish.
- Turkey Sausage <<not rated>> - Firm and tightly packed. 100% boneless, skinless turkey used here. Nicely seasoned but very mild. Good pink ring around the outside. Why no rating? See Criteria for true Barbecue on this page.
<<Note: Cartwright's has closed>>
- Brisket - Nice flavor & good texture, but maybe a little dry. Good.
- Ribs - very smoky. Tender and pulls off the bone. A little chewy.
- Pork Loin - Nice color & smoke ring. Tender. Gosh, this is good meat (only pork loin so far this year).
- Sausage - Not much 'snap' to the casing, but good texture inside and nice spice.
- I recieved an email from a friend, saying that he wants to update me on his plans to install a pico-sized brewing system at his Lakewood home.
- Then I saw a notice that Lakewood Brewery is coming to Richardson to host a beer tasting in a couple of weeks.
- And finally, I found this handy guide of local (DFW) breweries and their tour operations/attractions (click headline below to be taken to the full article).
This all started me thinking about incorporating a local brewery (and maybe also a tap room for the end of the trail) into our planned Dallas mini-tour. A few good barbecue joints, a brewery, and a tap room sounds like just the ticket! A beautiful day, this brewery guide, our list of DFW BBQ Tour targets, and a GPS. That's all we need. I'm getting hungry!
Brentney's Guide contains:
- Pork Chop - Oh my. Juicy. Good flavor. On par with Kreuz: Better up front, but meat is a little chewy on the finish.
- Lean - Very good, but maybe a bit too firm today (similar to Mueller's)?
- Moist/Fatty - Marbled mix of meat and fat. Better than Kreuz.
- Sausage - Good flavor, but insides are "mushy".
- Ribs - What can I say? These are GREAT ribs... maybe best of the tour! Outstanding.
- Brisket - Lean. Got an end piece... kinda like burnt ends. Still good. Lots of flavor in this meat . Tried again and it was better, but not up to their highest standard.
- Sausage - Good flavor here... mild. A bit greasy today and the casing was tough.
OK, so this list has already been out a few months, but I love to collect them from wherever I find them. Visit Mike Sutter's Fed Man Walking site to read the write-ups and view his Barbecue porn. It’s a shame we won't get to review John's place, but he'll need to stay put for more than a year before we'll consider a visit.
- Fatty - A little tough today... even when compared to the lean. Great flavor, though.
- Lean - Damn, that's the best lean so far -- and may be the best overall. Outstanding!
- Sausage - Really good flavor here, with a nice delayed spice effect. Casing is very firm, but the texture of the meat is 'soft' on the inside.
- Prime Rib - Fabulous! Man, this is good stuff!
- Pork - Moist, tender, and good.