Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.
Smoke Daddy's Review of Johnnys Hickory House Bar-B-Q
Great history and cool custom-made pit. Although the brisket and ribs could've been better, they were my favorite meats on this visit. The regular sauce was also good. Chicken is one of their specialties, and I will try that next time!
- Brisket - Nice, sweet hickory smoke. Paper-thin slices are cut across the grain. Slices are wet from steam table condensation.
- Burnt Ends - Extremely smoky... some bitterness here. Moist morsels with a nice texture.
- Ribs - Crock-pot texture... mush. Meat all falls off the bone. Good flavors.
- Sausage - Not sliced lengthwise, and not Italian.
- Pork - Good flavor. Nice spice from the rub. Large chunks of meat.
- Beans - Small flecks of meat & onion.
- Slaw - Crunchy and smothered in a mild, creamy sauce.
- Regular Sauce - Nice balance of spices, with a mild heat on the finish
- Hickory Sauce - Sweeter, with muy mucho liquid smoke... bleh.
- Hot Sauce - More mustard and muy mucho cayenne
- Good history and great custom pit here (other location uses a Southern Pride)
- Quotable: "Maybe the best custom pit on the tour." -- Double-Boner
- Collection of sauces is prominently displayed
- Dining room is somewhat sterile - has an I-Hop feel to it