Psychologists have shown that certain foods, among them barbecue, just plain make us happy. Who needs comfort food when we can have happy food?
Smoke Daddy's Review of The Filling Station
I can recommend the slaw and sausage (if you like italian spices). I've heard the chicken wings are good.
- Brisket - Moist. Pulls apart, but is not fully rendered. Chewy with bitterness from bad smoke (creosote).
- Burnt Ends - Nice chunks, but super bitter
- Rib - Tender & moist... But ruined by creosote
- Sausage - Heavily laced with italian spice. Doesn't suffer as much from bad smoke due to short exposure.
- Pork - Shreds nicely, but it is bitter
- Beans - Thick sauce. Not too sweet. Good flavors here until you get to the meaty bits. Brisket or burnt ends are bitter and ruin the beans too.
- Slaw - Vinegar-based with sweetness. Good balance. Good crunch. Good slaw.
- Potato Salad - Fairly standard mustard-based with some cumin? Interesting.
- Mild Sauce - Tastes like Taco Bell taco sauce
- Medium Sauce - Uses mild sauce as base and adds a little heat
- Hot Sauce - Uses previous sauce and kicks it up several notches to Insanity Sauce level
- Restored gas station on main drag in Lee's Summit
- Decor seems a bit over-the-top / contrived in an obsessive-compulsive sort of way
- Nice patio out front
- Using a Southern Pride oven... poorly
- Quotable: "There is too much stuff coming OUT of peoples' mouths."
- Our Thoughts: This joint could be great with a few operational changes