Need no teef to eat my beef
Smoke Daddy's Review of The Filling Station
I can recommend the slaw and sausage (if you like italian spices). I've heard the chicken wings are good.
- Brisket - Moist. Pulls apart, but is not fully rendered. Chewy with bitterness from bad smoke (creosote).
- Burnt Ends - Nice chunks, but super bitter
- Rib - Tender & moist... But ruined by creosote
- Sausage - Heavily laced with italian spice. Doesn't suffer as much from bad smoke due to short exposure.
- Pork - Shreds nicely, but it is bitter
- Beans - Thick sauce. Not too sweet. Good flavors here until you get to the meaty bits. Brisket or burnt ends are bitter and ruin the beans too.
- Slaw - Vinegar-based with sweetness. Good balance. Good crunch. Good slaw.
- Potato Salad - Fairly standard mustard-based with some cumin? Interesting.
- Mild Sauce - Tastes like Taco Bell taco sauce
- Medium Sauce - Uses mild sauce as base and adds a little heat
- Hot Sauce - Uses previous sauce and kicks it up several notches to Insanity Sauce level
- Restored gas station on main drag in Lee's Summit
- Decor seems a bit over-the-top / contrived in an obsessive-compulsive sort of way
- Nice patio out front
- Using a Southern Pride oven... poorly
- Quotable: "There is too much stuff coming OUT of peoples' mouths."
- Our Thoughts: This joint could be great with a few operational changes