I don't like food that's too carefully arranged; it makes me think that the chef is spending too much time arranging and not enough time cooking. If I wanted a picture I'd buy a painting.
Smoke Daddy's Review of Stephensons Barbecue
Our first stop on the North Carolina Tour... and its Rib Day at Stephensons! My favorites here were the brunswick stew and hush pups, with the pork not too far behind.
- Pork - Moist... almost 'wet'. A little outside brown & fat mixed in - flavorful.
- Brunswick Stew - Thick and tasty.
- Ribs - Steamed with a tangy sauce. Tender and moist.
- Hush Pups - Hot-n-fresh. Mmmmm.
- Slaw - White. Finely chopped with good balance of flavors... a little sweet.
- Dip - Primarily vinegar and spices. No red pepper sauce b/c its mostly a clear liquid.
- Outside has a 'homey' feel
- No woodpile, but a large chimney
- Andy Stephenson is a friendly host and gives us the grand tour
- Good history and pit
- Pork Shoulders
- Says wood has gotten too expensive... uses Kingsford