It's him or me that's what he said; But I can't choose between a vegan and a pot head
So I chose you because you're sweet; And you give me lots of lovin' and you eat meat
Smoke Daddy's Review of Skylight Inn
The atmosphere here is an amazing, historically accurate rendition of traditional east NC barbecue. Kudos to the Jones family for sticking to their guns and preserving the traditional methods and process.
- Pork - Good, mixed meat (light & dark). Moistened, but not "wet". Flavorful. Skin/cracklins are also mixed in with the pork, and we find three types:
- Good texture & flavor addition to the meat;
- Extremely chewy; or
- Crunchy bits that might damage your dental work (watch out for these)!
- Pan Bread - Salty, but good... wait, the other piece is not nearly as salty. This one pairs well with the dip.
- Slaw - Sweet and chopped very fine. I like it better with some dip added.
- Dip - Acidity seems to come from a mix of red wine and apple cider vinegar. Flavor profile is a little strong... not sure whether it enhances or distracts from the flavor of the meat.
- Long history and tradition here
- Separate smokehouse out back
- Good tour from Sam Jones (Pete's Grandson)
- They focus on a few things, and do them well
Bookmark/Search this post with: