Smoke Daddy's Review of The Barbecue Center, Inc.
History dates back to the 50's, and Sonny Conrad has been there for most of that time. Originally started as an ice cream stand that sold some barbecue on the side. Great atmosphere and Lexington-style barbecue... oh, and save some room for banana pudding or a hand-dipped banana split (large enough to share with the whole family)!
- Chopped (sandwich) - Mmmmm... Smoky. The chopped here is a very nice mix of meat. Good texture. Chopped fine, but not mushy.
- Sliced - Nice pink smoke ring all the way through. Meat is firm, but flavorful. Easily breaks into chunk, but doesn't shred. Darker pieces are wonderfully rich and tender.
- Hush Puppies - Good. Lighter outside coating, with more good cornbread on the inside.
- Slaw - Cocktail sauce over cabbage... with a kick.
- Dip - This is really great stuff. Balance of flavors enhances the meat.
- Banana Pudding - Very good.
- Banana Split - Outstanding and Ginormous.
Double Boner: "You'd need a family of 8 to finish this thing!"
- Eat-in or Curb Service
- 50's Soda fountain feel inside... with hand dipped banana splits (as we find out)
- Key lime melamine plates
- Clean, comfortable and friendly
- Owner, Sonny Conrad gives us the grand tour
- Pork shoulders cooked over coals for about 8 hours
- Using flats from furniture mills for fuel