Were I to recommend Louie Mueller's to a stranger, I would tell him it is a Texas tradition. It's as Texas as the State Capitol... You need to go there even if you are a vegetarian.
Smoke Daddy's Review of Hurseys Barbecue
The barbecue was above average, but the strawberry cobbler was a winner. Although the sliced was a bit dry, I preferred it over the chopped today. While I enjoyed the flavors in the chopped, I just couldn't get over the mushy texture of the meat (machine processed). Next time I will try the chicken and apple turnovers.
- Sliced - There is a sweetness on the meat. A bit of pink indicates smoke, but it is very mild. Although appearances would lead you to believe it is too dry... it is not.
- Chopped - Using a buffalo chopper... run very thoroughly. Texture is mushy. Dipped in the kitchen, it is a flavorful mix of meats.
- Pups - These are chewy and sweet, with a good flavor.
- Dip - Really a sauce. Thicker, orange, & tangy... with flecks of red pepper. Bold & Zesty. Unfortunately, it is so bold & zesty that it covers the flavor of the meat.
- Slaw - A fairly standard version of a cream-based slaw.
- Brunswick Stew - Meat-based, with some veggies in a soup broth.
- Peach cobbler - Big peaches with lots of bready cobbler to go with the fruit.
- Stawberry cobbler - More of a flaky pie crust cobbler. Very tasty and good.
- Wasn't too busy upon our arrive, and the hostess was able to seat us immediately. A steady stream of customers continued to come through the doors during our visit.
- 4th generation family business, apparently originating from a backyard barbecue party in the 1940's
- Our waitress recommends the cobblers, and says they are "amazing"! They were very good, but I understand their apple turnovers are possibly more popular than the cobblers.
- Not sure how people confuse this with Eastern-style NC barbecue... they are cooking shoulders and hams and serve with a barbecue "sauce", rather than dip on the table. I guess because the slaw is white? Not nearly enough vinegar used here to be considered eastern-style.
- The menu is quite varied... also serving broasted chicken and fried seafood platters.