Every joint, from the best to the worst, seems to have people who think the food served there is the very best. Even bad barbecue is somebody's favorite.
Smoke Daddy's Review of Hurseys Barbecue
The barbecue was above average, but the strawberry cobbler was a winner. Although the sliced was a bit dry, I preferred it over the chopped today. While I enjoyed the flavors in the chopped, I just couldn't get over the mushy texture of the meat (machine processed). Next time I will try the chicken and apple turnovers.
- Sliced - There is a sweetness on the meat. A bit of pink indicates smoke, but it is very mild. Although appearances would lead you to believe it is too dry... it is not.
- Chopped - Using a buffalo chopper... run very thoroughly. Texture is mushy. Dipped in the kitchen, it is a flavorful mix of meats.
- Pups - These are chewy and sweet, with a good flavor.
- Dip - Really a sauce. Thicker, orange, & tangy... with flecks of red pepper. Bold & Zesty. Unfortunately, it is so bold & zesty that it covers the flavor of the meat.
- Slaw - A fairly standard version of a cream-based slaw.
- Brunswick Stew - Meat-based, with some veggies in a soup broth.
- Peach cobbler - Big peaches with lots of bready cobbler to go with the fruit.
- Stawberry cobbler - More of a flaky pie crust cobbler. Very tasty and good.
- Wasn't too busy upon our arrive, and the hostess was able to seat us immediately. A steady stream of customers continued to come through the doors during our visit.
- 4th generation family business, apparently originating from a backyard barbecue party in the 1940's
- Our waitress recommends the cobblers, and says they are "amazing"! They were very good, but I understand their apple turnovers are possibly more popular than the cobblers.
- Not sure how people confuse this with Eastern-style NC barbecue... they are cooking shoulders and hams and serve with a barbecue "sauce", rather than dip on the table. I guess because the slaw is white? Not nearly enough vinegar used here to be considered eastern-style.
- The menu is quite varied... also serving broasted chicken and fried seafood platters.