Smoke Daddy's Review of Baby Back Shak
In February, I started a new job in the Cedars area of South Dallas. I am a few short blocks from the Baby Back Shak, but have been bringing my lunch to work every day. Well, due to a number of factors, I didn't have time to prepare a lunch today.
This photo of The Baby Back Shak is courtesy of TripAdvisor
Plus, its my birthday today, so I figured to walk over and treat myself to some BBQ for lunch.
- The ribs were well-rendered, but still on the bone. Meat came off with a slight tug, and I wasted no time in dispatching these! Good balance of smoke and spice. The savory rub had a good amount of spice on the finish.
- Shaq beans contained ground beef, and seemed a cross between bbq beans and a cincinatti-style chili. Unique and very tasty.
- The chopped cole slaw used a mustard and poppy seed sauce, with just a hint of pickle. Again, unique and very nicely done.
- Sauce - Don't waste the ribs by pouring this stuff on them. It wasn't even very good on the bread. A much better use of the bread was to mop up the sauce from the Shak beans.
- I know that received some upgrades from the Show "Hungry Investor" (article here). They updated the exterior and interior of the restaurant, but it still feels authentic.
- They supposedly changed the way they've been doing brisket, but I didn't have the guts to try it on my birthday. Maybe next time...
- I ordered my lunch to go, but would not mind sitting down here for a meal.